Monday, December 23, 2013

Rescue Mission: Operation Christmas



I was listening to the radio today and heard a description of Christmas that was unlike any other I had ever heard before, “Christmas was a rescue mission.” 

Contrary to popular, modern day belief, Christmas was not started by Santa Claus and his elves or by department store giants in order to add to their year-end bottom line. While Christmas as we know it today does have a lot of commercial roots, it is at the end of the day a time to remember the very beginning of an unparalleled act of love and the ultimate sacrifice. It was a rescue mission to save us, from ourselves. 

This verse has become one of the most popular verses from the entire Bible so I am sure most of us have heard it at one point or another (thanks to the Tim Tebows of the world), but have you ever really considered what it says? Take a minute and read it slowly to yourself….

“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” John 3:16

God gave a gift to us - on Christmas day this is symbolized all around the country in the form of giving gifts to friends and loved ones. Have you ever considered that we give gifts because He gave first? 

Jesus is the reason for this season. Now, I realize that this is not a politically correct view these days. The way I look at it is that Jesus was either a complete mental case or he was who he said he was – the Son of the Living God. Due to my own personal experiences in life and the fact that Jesus is more popular today than he was two thousand plus years ago (and what mental case do you know of that has had that kind of deep, lasting, life changing impact on society and the world?), I believe the latter…that He was, and still is, who he said he is.

The awesome thing about this is that *YOU* too can receive the gift – the original gift that started it all.  It doesn’t take any magic trick or blessing at an altar. Right where you are, just take a moment to invite God and his son Jesus into your heart. Either say this out loud out or from your heart:

‘God, I believe in you and I believe that your son Jesus died on the cross for me to have salvation and to take away my sins. I want to become a new person with You in my heart and I want to be with you in Heaven when the time comes for me to leave this Earth’

Now that is the Ultimate Christmas Gift!


P.S. Here are some more resources for you…




Wishing you a Merry Christmas and a Blessed New Year!

Michelle Brockman for
Jonah’s Place

No comments:

Post a Comment